Tuesday, July 19, 2011

"I Don't Want a Long Island DJ"



When hiring a Disc Jockey Entertainment service for your wedding reception, the dj above is a bride's worst nightmare. The "corny" wedding dj can be a total a complete disaster. However, at a recent consultation a perspective bride told me "We're not looking for a "Long Island DJ". Perplexed, I asked her what she meant by that. She replied that they were not looking for someone to completely dominate the reception and make the night about them. They were not looking for someone to say things like "Put your hands in the air" or "Come on, Lets go!" during every single song. I instantly got exactly what she was talking about. Having attended many weddings myself over the past several years I realized how much "Long Island Dj's" annoyed me as well. I don't know exactly how Long Island got tied into this but its not really that important. I remember thinking at many receptions that the dj's were really good. They knew the right music to play, mixed it well were well prepared, etc...
But...... Can they please just shut up for 2 seconds and let the music speak for itself? Personally, this has never been my style. Another thing that annoys me is the matching Tuxedos. Is this really necessary? I understand if it is a black tie affair but I think each staff member should be dressed to fit their personality. Formally dressed to fit the occasion, yes. Uniforms, no.

This also got me thinking about past wedding meetings when I've heard very similar statements. Some of them are:

1) We don't want someone who sounds like a game show host.
2) We don't want someone to constantly tell us what to do and whats next.
3) we don't want a traditional wedding where everyone knows whats coming next.
4) I hate when Dj's talk all night, please just mix the music make proper announcements and thats it.
5) I haven't even thought about lighting.

When meeting with couples for the first time I do not bring up equipment, lighting, giveaways or price to the very end. I try to get to know them a little bit. I try to gauge what it is they want, even if they don't know themselves. I listen to their ideas and try to see if my experience can make them a reality. I talk about music and whether or not they want Michael Jackson played. (Most of them do) The bottom line is every wedding reception is different and must be treated as such. While many are similar, there is no uniform way. My company is not a "Wedding Factory".

The DJ in the video is very corny. I guess my question is "Is the "Long Island DJ" the new corny?" No offense to any DJ from Long Island but a "Long Island DJ", I'll never be.

No comments:

Post a Comment